Bloodsuckers!

October 5, 2011 at 15:51 (Comic, Drawing) (, , , , , )

I’ve been working on this comic ever since the last topic, the one about using Promarkers. There’s several reasons why I wanted to make this comic, actually.

  • I wanted to see how a complete page looked when shaded using markers.
  • I wanted to experiment more with using values instead of colors to define shapes.
  • I wanted to challenge myself to draw from multiple angles.

I’m certain you’ve seen plenty of example of how NOT to do that last one. Heck, I’ve been guilty of that crime myself, more than once. Here’s an example (one of my old strips, from before I started this blog):

Looks familiar, yes? Just two persons standing next to each other with just minimal changes to facial expression and only the text to really bring the plot home. THAT’S what I’m trying to avoid here, by letting the pictures speak as much as the words do.
Please let me know if I failed, and if so, how I can remedy that for the next one!

Anyways, back to the comic at hand.
I started, as I usually do, by sketching, doodling and scribbling on some office papers. You know, just to get the creative juices flowing, and to prepare for the real deal. Here’s the two sheets I maimed in preparation for this praticular comic.

As you can see I started with some light scribblings on the left skeet, trying out the “anatomy” and characteristic of the main character. I then created the thumbnail you see on the right sheet. Observe how I changed some panels completely from the initial idea. I also wrote down the text and refined it a bit, as you see from the difference between the two sheets.

After sketching was done I went through the regular routine: Drawing in the pencils, and then inking. I had a hell of the time penciling the fourth panel, though. No matter what I did I couldn’t get the arms right, and had to change them a bit from my initial idea (right sheet above), particularly the swordarm.
Once the inking was done I scanned it in, and here you can see the thing before it was shaded with markers.


The marking itself was really easy and fun to do. I think I spent about the same amount of time shading that I usually spend on digitally coloring, so it’s no time-saver by any strech of the word, but it was immensely satisfying to see a new technique and method work so well on my first attempt.

I’ve noticed in hindsight that the text and wordballoons are a bit on the large side, but were really uncertain about how large they should be when I drew them. I guess that’s an art that comes with practice.
And speaking of text, I lined up guidelines with a ruler to get the letters as uniform as possible, but that turned out to be a really bothersome and inaccurate method. I aught to get myself an Ame’s Lettering Guide to correct that mistake.

Oh, and remember: Click the images to see them in all their fullsize glory and detail.   ;)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: